Summer 21 Challenge: Round 2
Take an image that represents Climate Change and/or Pollution
Group Result after 2 Rounds
|Group||Round 1||Round 2||Total|
|Flutter me Shutterz||363||424||787|
|The Padded Room||357||359||716|
|The Pants Drunk Pie Factory||355||350||705|
|The Lens Captains||319||379||698|
|The Mad Catters||364||326||690|
Top 10 Entries for Round 2 – Well done!
|2||foto_aps||Sh*t Storm||Flutter me Shutterz|
|3||derekdcarlsonphotography||It’s in our hands||Flutter me Shutterz|
|4||madfencer||Time is running out||Masked Potatoes|
|4||redandrandom||Dam this climate challenge||Lens Captains|
|4||d.m.grant||Exhausted||Flutter me Shutterz|
|7||elisabethanncarlson||“Hope”||Flutter me Shutterz|
|7||photofishtexan||Aftermath||Flutter me Shutterz|
|10||skylandseaphoto||Cloud Making Machines.||Lens Captains|
|10||sintijapudule||Plastic Bottle||Flutter me Shutterz|
|10||mandie_lee_photography||It goes together like “Oil and Water”||The Pants Drunk Pie Factory|
- Can be anything of your choosing
- It must represent Climate Change and/or pollution – the below bullets are some guidance on how to consider climate change.
- The Cause – What you believe to be the cause of the climate crisis?
- The Effect – How has the climate crisis affected you and your environment?
- The Response – What we have done or put in place as a response to the change in the climate?
- You must link your image to climate change or pollution in your description.
- You must strongly and credibly link your image to the theme, with an explanation how your image represents climate change.
- The image must have been taken from the start date of the challenge, not before.
- Your picture must have a title.
- Your picture must not be manipulated by adding parts that were not on the original image.
- You may use editing software to change contrast, exposure, white balance etc.
- You must post the picture to your own account.
- You must message me on Instagram for the challenge hashtag; if you are in a challenge group you do not need to message me.
- DO NOT give out the hashtag to anyone outside of your group.
- You do not need to message me or tag me in your challenge post.
- Do not send the picture to me directly.
- Round 2 starts, 12:00pm EST or 5:00pm UK Monday September 6th 2021.
- Round 2 ends at 12:00pm EST or 5:00pm UK Friday September 24th 2021.
- You may only enter one picture to the challenge
- No Carousels
- No Galleries
- Your entry will not count for the challenge if you have posted more than one image.
- You must be part of a Challenge Group before the start of each round for your picture to be accepted in the group competition.
Challenge Group Rules:
- You must only be in one challenge group.
- You cannot post an image for more than one challenge group.
The organiser reserves the right to decline any picture for the challenge.
For Rounds one and two
- Two Choices will be made.
- Each of the two choices will be given a picture shout.
- The winner will get a picture and a story shout.
For Round three – Group only:
- The winning group will select 3 accounts for a shout.
- Each account will get a picture shout.
- One nominated account will get a picture and a story shout.
- Group decisions are final, no appeals.
- If you do not follow the rules your picture will not count.
What do you gain, other than kudos –
- The spirit of taking part and being included in one of the best communities on Instagram.
- An opportunity to learn from other Photographers and develop your skill.
- Do not do anything unsafe or dangerous when taking part in this challenge.
- This challenge does not accept any responsibility for loss or damage – you take your pictures at your own risk.
- By entering a photo into the challenge, you agree to allow your photo to be shared and re-posted for the purposes of advertising and documenting this and future challenges. When used, photo credit will be given to the posting Instagram account.
About the challenges:
These monthly challenges are taken up by 100s of instgrammers and although the window for taking and posting is short, there is enough time for everyone get a shot in.
All participants see an increase in their engagement from real and interested instagrammers, and all new challengers receive additional followers just for getting involved.
We set-up groups to make the challenge more personal and for better engagement, and please let me know if you want to be added to a group.
Give it a go, you’ll be surprised how well it works, and of course if it’s not for you then you don’t have to participate in the next one!
Points awarded for all 3 rounds will be added up and the team with the highest points at the end of round 3 will be the winners, and will be able to select accounts to receive a shout.
Climate Change – My opinion
Climate change can be considered subjective and there is often a debate whether the current global temperature rise is a result of human activity. The world has recently seen some of its hottest days and coldest days, though overall the average global temperature is rising.
Our job is to document climate change through photography and play a small part in helping others see it.
I have been quite cynical about the slogan Save the Planet and always felt it wasn’t about humans saving the planet, (which is likely to still be around for another 5 or 6 billion years), and more about saving the lifestyle of those privileged few, and because of this I have not been overly interested about climate change in the past.
I recently watched a television programme which showed the amount of methane being released from the permafrost in Canada, this piqued my interest, so much so that I watched all the videos, read the online blogs and tried to understand what this meant.
The truth is the amount of pollution we humans are emitting into the atmosphere is undoubtedly having a negative impact on our climate, and in my view whatever we do today we will not be able to stop runaway climate change, however we can prolong the time that runaway climate change takes.
I don’t believe it is up to the politicians to help us make a change to improve the climate, but will be down to scientists, entrepreneurs and business people to enable change by inventing new products and help us change our way of life.
Technology has been a big driver for changing human behaviour with the steam engine and the microchip being good examples of this, and as technology has been the root of the climate issue, it will also provide us with a way out.
What can we as individuals do about it if anything? Here are just a few things all of us can consider:
Use less water
Takes less journeys in a motorised vehicle- walk more, by a bicycle
Use less energy in the home
Eat less meat – especially beef
Eat locally grown foods – check the label and decide if it has been flown to you
Lobby your local government and put pressure on decision makers
Why not have a go at my Climate Change Quiz!
Bonus Story, Rules: – Just for FUN
- For this part I would like to encourage you to post a story [You don’t need to do this if you don’t want to].
- 15 seconds or less
- Most include video and your challenge image
- You must use at least one cut to tell your story and not just one continuous shot
- Represent your challenge image of Climate Change or pollution
- If you tag my account I will try to share your story, with a link to your challenge image
- You may add yourself speaking to the story, though you don’t have to
- You may narrate your story describing the scene, and if you do, you can use any language
Please leave your thoughts in the comment box below, and if you would like post your Quiz Score!