Create a supportive online community whereby the participants grow in their photographic
Welcome to The Community:
We are a collection of photographers of highly varying tastes, skill levels, and equipment
preferences. What we do here is this:
- We organize friendly competitions centered on a theme or technique as a means of honing our own skills and supporting the artistic endeavors of others.
- The pursuit of better art and expression is our highest objective — community is the tool we use to achieve it.
This being the internet, however, requires us to agree on a basic set of guidelines — a social contract for the community — which will allow us the best means of supporting one another.
The purpose of the principles is to ensure that we continue to pursue our objectives and do not cause damage to the community.
Here are the key expectations:
- All community members abide by the principles
- Group leaders are responsible for their group members and their actions
- All community members are treated equally with regards to these principles
Kindness is paramount:
- If you cannot be kind, be silent.
- If you are not kind, there will be consequences for your actions.
Support the community, the community’s art, and the community’s growth:
- Being supportive means:
- Positively-framed critique of someone’s art
- A focus on improvement
- Making sure our community members are comfortable even receiving feedback before providing it
- We’re not experts, we’re students of photography
- Photography is about the photographer, the photographer’s artistic expression, and the photographer’s technique — the gear is a distant fourth
Communicate and act mindfully:
- We’re friends AND we are internet strangers — remember that. Both can be — and are – true.
- Know your boundaries — not everyone shares your view of the world and not everyone is ready to be your best friend forever
- Treat others how you think they would like to be treated — you must consider how your words and actions may affect others
- You have autonomy and agency, and your actions will therefore speak the loudest
Your actions can have consequences:
- You lose points in the round
- You are suspended from a three-round challenge
- You and your group loses points for a round or three-round challenge
- You are prevented from participation in any challenge or challenge group under penalty subjecting an entire group to disqualification.